Saturday, August 7, 2010

Inspired by the Book Whisperer

I just finished reading Donalyn Miller's inspiring book The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child. Yes, she very much inspired me, not just to read the book in a day, to immediately act upon some of her great ideas (e.g. I got myself a reader's notebook which I plan to keep on my desk this year and set up a Goodreads account for those that prefer to follow on the Web what I read and recommend), but even to post on my neglected personal blog. While posting I also decided that the orange background needed to go, making space for a more serene, less distracting one. Of course, once again I spent far too much time playing around with the many options available - but still couldn't work out how to fit everything I wanted to show on my blog in the right spaces. I hope to figure this out with time - always learning, right?

If you would like to read more about and from Donalyn Miller, why not explore her blog.

And if you, just like me, wonder whether Goodreads or LibraryThing is the better option to keep track of what you are reading, here two interesting blog posts, comparing the two services: RandomThoughts and Match Goodreads vs LibraryThing. While LibraryThing seems definitely the superior service, I decided that Goodreads would be the better option for my purpose to start with. It seemed more appealing to the eye, less time-involving to manage, and stronger on the social networking aspect. I also like the easy to embed widget for my blog and the option to have automatic updates on my Facebook and Twitter accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment